The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Monday, July 18, 2011

When life gives you lemons...

I’ve always been a fan of fresh homemade lemonade, so I’ve made many versions over the years.  (ANYTHING is better than that powdered stuff!)  I came across this recipe in a magazine a few years ago, and have considered it my favorite ever since!  Sad to say, I can’t remember which magazine, much less which issue, but I do know it was something put out by Reiman Publications (my absolute favorite cooking publisher!).  They publish a variety of cooking magazines and cookbooks.  If you’ve never checked them out you should! (http://www.reimanpub.com/)

 
Faithy’s Favorite Lemonade

5 lemons
5 limes
5 oranges
3 quarts water

Sugar or sugar substitute, to taste (the original recipe called for 1-1/2 to 2 cups, but I generally use much less - I often use amber agave nectar http://www.madhavasweeteners.com/agave/ …delish!)

Squeeze the juice from four of the lemons, limes and oranges, and pour into a gallon container.  (I often use store-bought orange juice if I don’t have any oranges in the house.  Just measure the lemon juice and use an equal amount.)  Thinly slice the remaining fruit and set aside for garnish.  Add water and sugar to juices; mix well.  Store in the refrigerator.  Serve on ice with fruit slices:

Yield:  12-16 servings (about 1 gallon)

If you don’t want to make a whole gallon, just use 1 part each of the fruit juices add water and sweetener to taste!  By the glass or by the gallon, it’s guaranteed to refresh your body & spirit!!


Happy Monday!
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment