The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hey Faithy...what's for breakfast?

I’ve got a terrific new recipe, and I’m so glad you asked!  I tried out another new cookbook yesterday, and the results were so yummy I’m having leftovers for breakfast today!

As my husband can confirm, I have spent many years and countless hours trying a variety of apple muffin recipes to find one I REALLY like.  I’ve made many good ones over the years, but never really found “THE ONE”.  I think I may have actually found it this time.   Mmmmm, these are good!

I found this simple treasure in a little 4” x 6” cookbook called Texas Morning Glory:  Memorable Breakfast Recipes from Lone Star Bed and Breakfast Inns - ©The Great Texas Line Press (no year listed).  It’s on pg. 42, listed as “Apple-Pecan Muffins” from the Wicklow Inn in Corsicana, TX.  Makes me want to go to Corsicana!!

(As usual, I adapted it a bit to make it my own, so I’m posting the adapted version.  If you want the original let me know and I’ll send it to you.)

Faithy’s Favorite Apple-Pecan Muffins

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oat meal
2 teaspoons sodium free baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 Smart Balance buttery stick (1/2 cup), softened (or 1/2 cup butter)
1 cup brown sugar (I would have used Whey Low Gold, but I am out)
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup HEB Real Egg (you can use "Egg Beaters" or 2 lightly beaten eggs if you prefer)
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup chopped pecans
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, add sour cream and eggs (1 at a time if you’re using regular eggs), and blend thoroughly.  Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, just until blended.  DON’T OVERMIX!
Fold in apple and pecans.  (I’m thinking I might try adding a few dried cranberries next time too!)  Pour batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes.
YUM!

The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

No comments:

Post a Comment