The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Another Saturday morning, another new recipe to try….


This morning I decided to try another recipe from the same little treasure book I found my apple-pecan muffin recipe in last week.  As I mentioned then, it’s a little 4” x 6” cookbook called Texas Morning Glory:  Memorable Breakfast Recipes from Lone Star Bed and Breakfast Inns - ©The Great Texas Line Press (no year listed).

On pg. 42, I found this recipe listed as “Lemon Raspberry Muffins” from the Mound Street Bed and Breakfast in Nacogdoches, TX.  Since I’ve got family ties and lots of precious memories associated with Nacogdoches, this one interested me.

(I’m posting my version of the recipe, as usual.  If you want the original let me know and I’ll send it to you.)
Lemon Black Raspberry Muffins
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sodium free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Smart Sugar (you can find a link for Smart Sugar at the bottom of my blog page)
1 cup black raspberries (I found these in the freezer section at H.E.B. and thought they’d be worth a try - but you can use any kind of fresh or frozen raspberries or blackberries)
1/2 cup HEB Real Egg (you can use 2 lightly beaten eggs if you prefer)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (I know, I know…but I couldn’t resist!)
1/2 cup skim milk (there…does that make up for it? LOL!)
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Preheat your oven to 425°F.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt and Smart Sugar.  Gently fold in the black raspberries.  Set aside.
In another bowl, combine the eggs, whipping cream, milk and lemon extract.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir gently until just moistened.  If you stir too hard you’ll end up with a purple batter.  J
Spoon batter into greased muffin tins (I always use a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop for the perfect amount of batter and MUCH less mess!) and bake for 20 to 22 minutes.  The original recipe said that it would make 18 muffins, but mine only made 13 regular sized ones.
DELICIOUS!!!
NOTES: 
--The original recipe said that it would make 18 muffins, but for me it only made 13 regular sized ones.
--The recipe also said to bake for 20 to 22 minutes, but mine were just a bit more “golden brown” than I would have liked at 20 minutes.  Next time I’m going to try 18!
--Although still very good, I think the lemon extract caused a bit of a medicinal flavor.  I think I’m going to try lemon juice and a little bit of fresh lemon zest next time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a side note, if you’ve never been to the “Oldest Town in Texas”, you should go.  It’s a great place for a weekend trip.  They’ve got LOTS of history (which I love!) and some neat bed and breakfast places, etc.  Not to mention that they’re deep in the beautiful Piney Woods.
Another bit of trivia…did you know that Nacogdoches County is the top blueberry producer in Texas?  Hmmm…guess maybe I should have tried using blueberries.  Sounds like an experiment for another day….
Blessings…
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment