The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Friday, December 25, 2020

Jalapeño Pecan Brittle

Hi everyone...long time no see!  Just popping in to share a recipe for my new addiction...Jalapeño Pecan Brittle!

Like Faithy's Quick & Easy (Microwave) Peanut Brittle, it's super easy and makes a minimal mess in your kitchen.  If you have all the ingredients, you can whip up a batch in a snap!


This year, we've been making lots of Cowboy Candy to sell (along with our homemade jams & jellies) at our local farmer's market.  With each batch, there's always plenty of the yummy jalapeño syrup leftover.  We've been canning it for later use as a meat marinade, etc.  I recently saw someone online mention that they've used it to make peanut brittle before, so I decided I needed some of that in my life!  LOL!  As a true Texas girl, I decided that pecans would go better than peanuts in this delight, so my husband & I went to work, experimenting to get the ratios and timing of everything just right.

Please note:  You can easily replace the pecans with whatever nuts you prefer.  However, they'll need to be raw when you start (not pre-roasted) or they may burn.  Also - microwave times may vary depending on the strength of your microwave.

As with my peanut brittle recipe, you'll need to keep moving with this recipe, because you don't want the mixture to cool until you're finished, so be sure to READ THE RECIPE ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE STARTING...so you know what's coming.  I always have my ingredients pre-measured before I start, so I can just dump and stir quickly.

Here goes...

Mix 1/2 cup jalapeño syrup1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light Karo Syrup in a large microwaveable bowl with handle.  (I use an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup - helpful, because the mixture gets REALLY hot.)  


Microwave on high for 5 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup raw pecans.

Microwave on high 3 minutes and 45 seconds or until light brown.  Stir in 1 tsp. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla.  (Be careful, as the mixture will be very hot, and may spatter when these wet ingredients go in.)   

Microwave on high 1-1/2 minutes more.  Pecans will be light brown and syrup very hot.  (As I mentioned before, no matter how tempting it may be...DO NOT lick the spoon, or attempt to wipe the mixture off with your fingers...just trust me!) 

Add 1 tsp. baking soda, and stir gently until light and foamy.  (You need to work quickly here, because the mixture will harden fast as it cools.)  Pour mixture immediately onto lightly greased cookie sheet and spread to desired thickness.  (I recommend using a flexible cookie sheet if you have one...it's much easier to remove the cooled peanut brittle once it's done by just giving the pan a little twist...and DON'T FORGET to grease the pan first!)  Let cool for about 30 minutes, or until cool to the touch.  Break into pieces & enjoy!

(Another note:  If you're making this for a gift...DO NOT take a sample taste...you may eat the entire batch and have nothing left to give away!  😂  Seriously y'all...I may never eat peanut brittle again!)

I hope you and your family will enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

Merry Christmas and may God bless you abundantly in the year ahead!
Blessings,
--Faithy 

P.S.   If you don't have any jalapeño syrup handy, there are lots of Cowboy Candy recipes online.  Just pick your favorite one, and be sure to save the extra syrup when you make it!  Local friends can pick some up through Scantlin Kitchens!

3 comments:

  1. DEFINITELY have to try this one! Pecans sound SO good. Man I miss our pecan trees from Seguin house! Received package, thank you so much. I see a special breakfast for supper on New Year's Eve in our future with hot biscuits and fig preserves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds super wonderful. ? Are you using the extra syrup that hasn't been poured over the jalapeños, or is it syrup that has had the peppers in it to flavor? Also, wattage on the microwave is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my Cowboy Candy recipe, after the syrup has cooked a bit, you add the jalapeños and boil them for a few minutes. Then you remove the peppers with a slotted spoon to put them into the jars then pour the syrup over them. So....it definitely has the jalapeño flavor.

      My microwave is pretty old, but I think it's a 900 watt version.

      We have to adjust the timing a bit every time we make microwave brittles, as sometimes even the humidity can make a difference.

      Delete