The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!!! (Pumpkin Zucchini Bread)


Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
--taken from Bountiful Harvest - published by Taste of Home Books - ©1994, Reiman Publications, L.P. - p. 25 (Squash Chapter)... submitted by Pat Thompson, Spokane, Washington

3 eggs, lightly beaten (I always use HEB’s “Real Egg” egg substitute- similar to Egg Beaters, but nutritionally healthier - AND cheaper - in my opinion - it helps keep my cholesterol down, and I really can’t tell any difference)
2 cups sugar (I used “Smart Sugar” - see www.trysmartsugar.com)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup butter or margarine, melted (I always use “Smart Balance” buttery sticks)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (I almost always use ½ all purpose flour and ½ whole wheat flour when I bake)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I only use sodium free now - you can find it at Whole Foods Market or online)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I always use 1/4 to 1/2 the amount of salt in my baking - with no noticeable difference)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I only used ¼ tsp. - because I don’t like a strong nutmeg flavor)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I also only used ¼ tsp of cloves - they can easily be overpowering)
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts (I always use pecans - I am a Texan after all!)

In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar.  Add pumpkin, butter and vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.  Stir in zucchini and nuts.  Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans.  Bake at 350º for 45-50 minutes or until breads test done.  Cool in pans 10 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack.  Yield:  2 loaves.

While enjoying the extra time at home this holiday morning, I decided to do some baking.  I made mine into muffins and baked them about 25 to 30 minutes.  They were DELICIOUS!!  This recipe is definitely a keeper!

But first and above all, our thanks are due to the Almighty God for the numerous benefits which He has bestowed upon this people and our united prayers ought to ascend to Him.
-- President James Buchanan --

Happy 4th of July my friends...
Today I am especially grateful to live in a country where I have the freedom to worship my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ!  May we never forget the values our country was founded upon...and may we always remember the sacrifices of those many men & women who have given so much to allow us to maintain the freedoms we so often take for granted.
God Bless America!!!
Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment