The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Scones...

Spent some time reading through another “new” cookbook this weekend, and came across a yummy sounding recipe for scones. I L-O-V-E scones…so I thought I’d try it out.

The cookbook is Southern Living: Homestyle Cooking - © 2002 by Oxmoor House, Inc. As is typical for any Southern Living cookbook, it’s got lots of delicious recipes I want to try. You’ll probably see a few more as we go along.

If you ever come across this cookbook, you can find this particular recipe on page 111, in the Breads, Breakfasts & Brunches chapter under Quick Breads. The one you see here has been adapted to fit my cooking style (as usual) and what was in my cupboard when I made it. J



Dried Cherry & Cream Scones

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour (the original recipe uses only all-purpose flour - your scones will be lighter and fluffier if you go that route, but I love the nutty flavor and extra color the whole wheat flour gives - not to mention the nutritional boost.)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon sodium free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dried cherries
1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
1-1/4 cups whipping cream
NOTE:  I was out of whipping cream so I found a substitute online (3/4 cup skim milk, 1/3 cup butter, 1 Tbsp. flour & 1/8 tsp. vanilla - mixed together and heated until thickened, then cooled before use) and used that.  It would have been better with the real thing, but it was still very good!
1 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Pulse the first 4 ingredients in your food processor until well mixed.  Add the cherries and 1 Tbsp. lemon rind.  Pulse until the cherries are coarsely chopped.  Add whipping cream and pulse just until the mixture starts to hold together.

The original recipe calls for chopping the cherries and mixing everything by hand.  That works fine, but I’ve gotten spoiled to just letting my food processor do the work.  It’s MUCH faster and easier for those of us with arthritis in our hands.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times, just until dough holds together.  (I love this part….kneading dough is just so relaxing and homey!  Don’t get carried away though, this needs VERY little kneading.)

On an ungreased baking sheet, pat dough into an 8” circle.  Cut dough into 8 wedges, and separate wedges slightly.  Brush with melted butter.  Combine 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. lemon rind, and sprinkle over dough.

Next time I think I’ll just roll out the dough and cut it with cookie/biscuit cutters instead.  This way is quicker, but I just prefer my scones the other way.  I also think I’ll make them a little thicker than the 8” circle allowed.

Bake at 400° for approx. 23 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pan and serve warm or cool on wire racks.

This recipe makes 8 good sized scones.




These scones were really good!  In my opinion, the topping was the “secret ingredient” that put them over the top!  I’m going to remember that simple topping and try it on other things…maybe a pie or cobbler.  Mmmmm…

Can’t wait to try these again - with real whipping cream this time!

Hope you’re having a wonderful Lord’s day my friends.  Don’t forget to take a minute and thank Him for all the wonderful things He provides…

Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment