The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Old friends and favorite recipes...

Howdy!  I certainly hope everyone is enjoying a blessed Lord’s Day today!  I know I am.

A busy week behind, and another ahead, but I’m grateful for it all.

Haven’t had much time to cook this weekend, but I wanted to share an “oldie but goodie” recipe I came across while sorting through a stack of recipes this afternoon.  Haven’t made this in a while, but I think I should pull it out again.  I got it from a dear friend (thanks Addie Ruth!) who let me live in her home for a summer during my college days.  I’ve made it countless times since then…even had a variation of it at my wedding.  Give it a try next time you need something quick, easy and delicious for your family - or a potluck dinner.  It’s sure to please!

I think of this precious lady every time I make it…treasured memories…one of the many things I love about “hand-me-down” cooking.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs. chicken breast (you can use canned chicken if necessary, but home-cooked is better)
2 cans reduced salt/reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1 cup fat free sour cream
1-1/2 tsp. minced onion
1 (4 oz.) can green chilis (or 2 cans if you like it spicy)
1 dozen corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Boil chicken and remove any bones, cut into bite-sized pieces.  In sauce pan, heat soup, sour cream, onion, and chilis for 5 minutes (DO NOT BOIL), stir in chicken.  Layer chicken-soup mixture, tortillas and cheese in a 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish, starting with soup mixture and ending with cheese on top.
Bake at 350° F until hot and bubbly.

(Addie Ruth’s original recipe was for regular chicken enchiladas.  I adapted it into a casserole for days when I’m in a hurry.)

To make the enchiladas, just soften the whole tortillas in a little oil and drain on paper towels.  Next, fill each tortilla with chicken, a little sauce and some cheese, then roll them up and place them in your baking dish.  Top with the remaining sauce and cheese, then bake until hot and bubbly.  The casserole version is a bit faster to put together, but both are yummy!)

Blessings,
--Faithy

1 comment:

  1. I love those recipes...prep time feels like a hug. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete