The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cranberry Coffee Cake

God is in His heaven -- all’s right with the world. -- Robert Browning --

Happy Wednesday friends!!

I made this over the weekend, and it sure was good.  Thought you might want to give it a try.

I originally got this recipe from Taste of Home , but never made it.  I came across a printed copy the other day, and decided to give it a try.  Can’t just have these recipes sitting around for no reason!  :-)

As usual, I’ve made it my own…feel free to use my version or theirs, but try it.  You’ll be glad you did!


Cranberry Coffee Cake

3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (I used frozen and they worked fine)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (the original recipe called for more, but I was running low - this amount was actually just right)
1 cup sugar, divided into two 1/2 cup portions
1 cup Smart Sugar, divided into two 1/2 cup portions
1-1/2 Smart Balance buttery sticks (3/4 cup), softened
3/4 cup HEB Real Egg (or 3 whole eggs, lightly beaten - if you prefer)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sodium free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

TOPPING:
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine cranberries, pecans and 1/2 cup of each of the sugars in a small bowl.  Mix well and pour into greased 9x9” square baking pan.

Cream butter and remaining sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.

Combine flours, baking powder and salt.  Add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Drop batter by large spoonfuls over the cranberry mixture; carefully spread to cover completely.

Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes or until it passes the “toothpick test”.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

This keeps well for leftovers another day, but I think it’s best served fresh & warm.  Mmmmmmm…

I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt:
open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it. -- Psalm 81:10 --

No comments:

Post a Comment