The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Berrylicious bounty...

Another beautiful (although still excessively D-R-Y in Zig Zag) Saturday morning....

I was going to spend the early morning hours pulling weeds in my flower beds, but allergies are working against me today.  However, choosing to look at the “up” side of things…being stuck inside did give me time to make a yummy breakfast this morning!

I found another newspaper clipping in my inherited stuff that sounded good, so I thought I’d test it out.  When I mentioned pancakes, my husband was a little wary, after that last experiment with the pumpkin pancakes (hee, hee), but at least he was willing to give ‘em a try.

I think they turned out really good, but dear hubby really likes plain old fluffy white pancakes best, so he voted good, but not great.  I myself love hearty whole-grain stuff, both for taste and the extra health benefits - so we switch back and forth.

(NOTE:  these pancakes are very filling so you won’t eat as many as you might with regular pancakes - if you do, you’ll probably regret it later.  J )

I also have another whole-grain pancake recipe that I’ve been making for years.  I’ll have to post that one sometime too.  I personally like it a little better than this one, but my hubby liked this one better because of the fruit.

Anyway…enough of the rambling and on to the recipe(as usual, it’s been adapted to use my regular substitution ingredients, but you can make it using the regular stuff if you prefer.  I didn’t change the flour this time though.  The original recipe called for all whole wheat flour, so I left that alone for a change.)


Berrylicious Whole-Grain Pancakes

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup uncooked oats (I use old-fashioned, but the quick oats will work too)
1 Tablespoon Smart Sugar (regular sugar will work fine)
1 Tablespoon sodium-free baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups skim milk (this recipe actually called for skim milk, so I didn’t need to substitute it!)
1/4 cup HEB Real Eggs (or 1 regular egg, beaten)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries (roughly chopped)
1-1/2 cups blueberries (I used frozen, but the original recipe called for fresh ones)

In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, Smart Sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.  In medium bowl, combine milk, Real Egg and canola oil; blend well.  Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Gently stir in cranberries.

Heat nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.  Lightly grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle (I use a large cookie scoop - but a 1/4 cup dry measure or an ice cream scoop would work too); quickly top with blueberries (the original recipe called for 8 to 10 blueberries per pancake, but I only used 5 or 6 each).  


Turn pancake when edges look cooked.  Cook second side; remove from griddle and serve immediately.


The original recipe included a recipe for a berry topping to go with these, so I’ll include that for you too.  I just used some seedless blackberry preserves on mine.  SOOOOOOOO good!!

TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
1 (10-ounce) jar blueberry OR blackberry fruit spread
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Heat fruit spread and lemon juice over high heat until melted and hot.  Stir occasionally as it is heating.  (You could do this on the stovetop or in the microwave.)  Spoon over pancakes.

Well, I’m off to try and be productive this afternoon.  Have a WONDERFUL day my friends…
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment