The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mango munchies...

Hello my friends,
Hope this beautiful Sunday evening finds you well and happy.  Another busy weekend comes to a close as I sit here at my computer watching a glorious sunset out my window.  God’s artistry never fails to amaze and inspire me!

I got this weekend’s recipe from a newspaper clipping found amidst all my inherited recipes and cookbooks.  I thought it sounded good, so I pulled it out to try for Saturday morning’s breakfast.  The flavors were wonderful, but the dough was excessively dry.  Now I’m trying to figure out what I could add to help it out a bit.

Ideas anyone???  I was thinking maybe some buttermilk...or possibly sour cream.  What do YOU think? I decided to share the recipe anyway (with my usual substitutions), in case someone else may have some ideas on how to tweak it.  The mango-blueberry combination was really good, so I really want to fix this.



Mango-Blueberry Muffins

½ cup shortening (next time I think I’ll try using butter)
½ cup Smart Sugar
¼ cup sugar
½ cup HEB Real Eggs (or 2 large eggs)
1½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup finely chopped fresh mango
1/3 cup fresh blueberries (these were not in the original recipe, but I tossed ‘em in because I had some that needed to be used, and it sounded good!)
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
¼ cup chopped pecans (I halved what the original recipe called for)

Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly.  Add Real Eggs.  Stir in flours, baking soda and salt.  Add mango, blueberries and lime juice.  Mix well.  Add nuts.

Pour batter into greased muffin tins and bake in preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until they pass the “toothpick test”.

The original recipe was actually for a 9x5x3” loaf (which would cook for about an hour at the same temperature).  If you make the bread, be sure to cool it completely before slicing.

Blessings…
--Faithy
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. -- Psalm 3:5 --

No comments:

Post a Comment