The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Audra's Blueberry Oatmeal Bread

HOWDY!  Had an opportunity to go in to work a bit later than usual today, so I’m enjoying my morning at home.  I spent a good while enjoying the beautiful weather on my porch this morning…doing my morning devotions, talking (and sometimes listening) to God, and playing with my adorable puppy.

I thought I’d take a minute to post another recipe that I’ve been meaning to put up for a while.  I found this one on another one of my favorite blog sites…Once a Mom Always a Cook.  As usual, I adapted the recipe a bit, so the one I’m posting is my version.  You can find the original recipe by clicking here. 

My husband and I both liked it so much, I’ve already made it several times.  Give it a try, it’s YUMMY!
Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
1/2 cup butter (1 stick - softened)
½ cup HEB Real Egg (or 2 eggs)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (if you don’t have or don’t like wheat flour, feel free to use all-purpose flour)
1 cup old fashioned oats (plus a little extra for topping)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used 1/2 of what the original recipe called for)
1 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt (you could easily substitute sour cream if you don’t have any yogurt)
1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen blueberries will work fine as well…I’m also thinking diced peaches -- or a mixture of blueberries and peaches -- might be worth a try)

With a mixer, cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until creamy.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, oats, cinnamon, baking soda and salt until thoroughly mixed.

With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients to egg mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the Greek yogurt.  Once everything is just mixed together, remove from the mixer and gently fold in your blueberries.  (If you're using frozen blueberries, you may want to toss them in a small amount of the flour -- just enough to give them a light dusting -- before stirring them in.  This can help prevent them from turning the entire batter blue.  I don’t really care about the color, so I usually just dump them right in.)

Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and sprinkle the top with oats.

Bake at 350° F for 65-75 minutes or until done (a “toothpick test” is a good judge).

Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.  Remove from pan to wire rack and allow to cool completely.  (NOTE:  I did NOT allow mine to cool completely before grabbing a sample!  It’s very good warm.  However, you do want to let it cool some, or the hot blueberries will definitely burn your mouth.  Don't ask me how I know this.  LOL!)

This bread is delicious hot or cold…and still wonderful the next day.  It also freezes well.  I love to butter a slice and put in under a broiler until lightly browned.  Mmmmm…

Don’t forget to stop by and check out Once a Mom Always a Cook, and tell Audra thanks for the recipe!  You can also tell her that Faithy sent you!

Enjoy your day my friends...

Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment