The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Thursday, April 18, 2013

“Oatrageous” Cookies



HOWDY once again my friends!

I’ve been behind on my recipe sharing, so today I’m playing “catch-up”.  This is an oldie-but-goodie recipe of mine that I’ve been meaning to share for some time.

I developed it years ago after trying the yummy cookies served to guests by the DoubleTree hotel in Austin, TX.  My friends and I liked those cookies so much that I was determined to come up with a close copy.  I tried lots of things, and finally came across a bar cookie recipe in a magazine, that was pretty close.  I adapted it into regular cookies, and the rest is history.

It’s been so long that I truly can’t remember what magazine I got the original recipe from.  If I could, I’d gladly credit them.

I’ve made this recipe many times over the years, and it’s always a hit.  Most recently, I made a double batch of “Mega-Cookies” to share with the truck drivers at the company where I work.  They loved ‘em!  I’ve even had a few of the guys offer to pay me to make them a batch.  Ha! Ha!  (It’ll more fun to just surprise them with some when they least expect it!)

Anyway…their enthusiastic response reminded me that I need to get this recipe posted so you all can enjoy it too.  Here goes…

“Oatrageous” Cookies

Ingredients:

½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup Smart Sugar (or regular sugar)
¼ cup HEB Real Egg (or 1 large egg, beaten)
1 Tbsp. fat free (skim) milk
1 tsp. vanilla
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1-1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted (you can use raw too, but the toasted ones are more flavorful)
1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350° F.  In large mixer bowl, cream butter & sugars.  Add egg, milk and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
In medium bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and oats.  Add to creamed mixture and mix until blended.  Remove from mixer and stir in chocolate chips, pecans and coconut.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes (or until golden brown).  Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
NOTE:  I generally prefer to make “mega-cookies”.  To do this, I use my large cookie scoop (but an ice cream scoop would work well too) to drop batter onto the cookie sheet.  The cookies will need to cook a little longer, so keep an eye on them (should take about 15 minutes or a little longer to cook - depending on your oven).  I can get about 9 or 10 “mega-cookies” from one batch of this dough.
I hope you’ll give these yummy cookies a try, and feel free to pass along the recipe.  I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I have!
Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment