The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Orange-You-Glad-You-Tried-These Muffins (with dates)

Another weekend HOWDY from Zig Zag!  Despite living in Texas my entire life, I am still amazed by the crazy weather changes we tend to experience here.  The last few days have been very unusually, yet beautifully cool, with new record lows being set for this time of year.

I for one am enjoying the cool mornings and evenings while I can because I know those 100°+ temps will be here soon.  I’m also VERY happy to report that we’ve even had some blessed and MUCH-NEEDED rain here on our parched property.  Grass and weeds are growing quickly, so there’s even been cause to get out the lawn mower (which hasn’t gotten a lot of use during this drought)!

I tried another new recipe this morning, and it was so good I just had to share it with you.  It’s another one out of the “Cookin’ Up Country Breakfasts” cookbook I told you about a few weeks ago when I posted the Cran-Apple Oatmeal muffin recipe I found there.  If you come across the cookbook, you can find the original recipe on page 77.  (If not, you can find it on the Taste of Home Website by clicking here.)

For once, I really didn’t make many adjustments to the recipe.  I just replaced the eggs with egg-substitute and the baking powder with my low-sodium variety, and used less salt than the original recipe called for.

I just cannot describe how incredible these muffins smell while baking…oh my!  You really have to try them…even if only to make your house smell good.  LOL!


Orange-You-Glad-You-Tried-These Muffins (with dates)

Ingredients

•1 orange
•1/2 cup orange juice
•1 tablespoon grated orange peel
•1/4 cup HEB Real Egg (or 1 egg)
•1/2 cup vegetable oil
•1 cup whole wheat flour
•3/4 cup packed brown sugar
•1/2 cup all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon low-sodium baking powder (or regular baking powder)
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•1/4 teaspoon salt (the original recipe called for 1/2 tsp., but I only used half that amount - as usual)
•1/2 cup chopped dates (I chopped mine up with kitchen shears…quick & easy!  I’m thinking dried cranberries would be a good substitute too…will have to try them next time)

Directions

Zest the orange (I use a microplane…one of my very FAVORITE kitchen tools!!) and reserve the peel (but NOT the white pithy part), then separate the orange into segments.  Put the grated orange peel, segments and juice into a blender (you could also use a food processor), then add the eggs and oil and blend well.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix well.  Add the orange mixture and stir just until moistened, then fold in the dates.

Fill muffin cups (sprayed with cooking spray) about 2/3 full.  My muffin tins aren’t very deep, so I filled each cup almost to the top.  (I always use a large cookie scoop, but this time I added a little extra to each one to use up all the batter.  By doing this, I ended up with exactly 12 muffins.)

Bake at 400°F for 14-16 minutes or until muffins test done (I always use the “toothpick test”).


Let them cool a few minutes before you try to remove them from the pan.  Then serve hot with butter.  (I usually eat my muffins without butter…these are great either way!)  Mmmmmmmmm………..

Gotta run…my wonderful hubby is making me chicken & dumplings (one of my favorites!) for dinner.  Don’t want to be late…

Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment