The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Faithy's Quick & Easy (Microwave) Peanut Brittle


Just popping in to share one of my favorite holiday recipes.  My hubby & I have been making this for so long, I have no idea where we originally found the recipe, but it is definitely on our "tried and true" list!

It's VERY easy, and not even very messy.  If you like peanut brittle, you can have a batch ready to eat in no time at all!  We make LOTS of it to give as gifts every year, and it's ALWAYS a hit.  People think we've worked so hard making it, but there's really nothing to it!


If you've always wanted to try making peanut brittle, but were afraid it would be too hard, this is the recipe for YOU!  (I don't even use a candy thermometer!)

You'll need to keep moving with this recipe, because you don't want the mixture to cool until you're finished, so be sure to READ THE RECIPE ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE STARTING...so you know what's coming.  I always have my ingredients pre-measured before I start, so I can just dump and stir quickly.

Anyway...all you do is...

Mix 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light Karo Syrup in a large microwaveable bowl with handle.  (I use an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup - helpful, because the mixture gets REALLY hot.)  


Microwave on high for 4 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts(I prefer to use raw, unsalted peanuts.  Spanish peanuts, in the skins, are my favorite, as they add a touch of color.  I watch for sales year round - especially AFTER Christmas - then stock up and store them in my freezer.)

Microwave on high 3 to 5 minutes or until light brown.  Stir in 1 tsp. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla.  (Be careful, as the mixture will be very hot, and may spatter.)   

Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes more.  Peanuts will be light brown and syrup very hot.  (No matter how tempting it may be...DO NOT lick the spoon, or attempt to wipe the mixture off with your fingers...trust me...it's like napalm at this point!)

Add 1 tsp. baking soda, and stir gently until light and foamy.  (You need to work quickly here, because the mixture will harden fast as it cools.)  Pour mixture immediately onto lightly greased cookie sheet and spread to desired thickness.  (I recommend using a flexible cookie sheet if you have one...it's much easier to remove the cooled peanut brittle once it's done by just giving the pan a little twist...and DON'T FORGET to grease the pan first!)  Let cool for about 30 minutes, or until cool to the touch.  Break into pieces & enjoy!

Depending on the power of your microwave, you may have to adjust the times a little, but don't change them much...burned peanut brittle isn't so good.  

I hope you'll give this recipe a try, and let me know what you think.  Maybe it will become one of your family favorites too!

Happy Holiday Cooking my friends!!
Blessings,
--Faithy 

No comments:

Post a Comment