The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Steph's Pecan Bars



HOWDY friends…I recently found this recipe by Steph over at PlainChicken.com and couldn’t wait to try it.  I decided that our church potluck dinner last weekend would be a great testing ground, so I threw together a batch.  They were so easy and delicious; I had to share the recipe with you as another possible Easter treat idea.  If you like pecan pie, you’ll love these!!

I made the mistake of sampling them when they came out of the oven…still warm (just to make sure they were good enough for my friends of course).  They were so yummy, I actually considered eating them all myself instead of sharing.  Thankfully, good sense, and my Christian spirit prevailed. 

Anyway, here’s the recipe (with my usual adaptations).  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!  If you do, click here to stop by and let Steph know how glad you are that she shared this delicious recipe with us!  And take a few minutes to browse her site while you’re there.  Looks like she’s got lots of other goodies you may want to try as well.



Wish you could smell these!
  
Pecan Bars



1 (8 oz) can of refrigerated crescent rolls (I used fat free ones and you really couldn’t tell!)

3/4 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup sugar (I used Whey Low as usual)

1/2 cup corn syrup (I used light corn syrup, but dark would probably be yummy too!)

2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted (I’ve been having trouble finding my usual Smart Balance Butter Blend sticks, so I used unsalted butter)

1 tsp. vanilla

1 egg, beaten (I used 1/4 cup of my usual HEB Real Egg)

  
Heat oven to 350°F.

Unroll dough and press in bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 9x13-inch pan.  Firmly press perforations to seal.  (I had to work a bit to stretch the dough to fit the pan without tearing it up, but I managed.)  Bake 8 minutes.  (After I baked the dough, I found one spot where the perforation came apart and left a hole in the bottom, but I just ignored it.)

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients.  Pour filling over partially baked crust.

Bake 18 to 22 minutes longer or until golden brown.

Cool completely, about 1 hour, and cut into bars.  (I must admit, I cut into it for my sample piece after only about 10 minutes…I just couldn’t wait!) 

The recipe was a hit at the potluck.  (You can always tell when folks ask for your recipe!) 

Please forgive the quick pictures.  I’m definitely going to make some more for this weekend’s big Easter BBQ.  I’ll try to get some better ones then.

I’ve also got a couple more recipes I want to share with you all before Easter, if I can find the time.

Gotta get hoppin’…
Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment