The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Winter Favorites #1: Kielbasa, Kraut & Apples

Howdy friends...its a cold  morning in Zig Zag...28° when I woke up this morning!  BRRRRRRR!!!  The cold weather has put me in the mood to share some of my favorite cold weather recipes, so I'll  try to find some time to get a few of them posted for ya.

One of the first things that comes to mind is this recipe that I came across many years ago.  I've had it so long that I can't remember where I got it, so I apologize for not giving appropriate credits.  It's incredibly simple and wonderfully delicious.  I always try to make it for at least one church potluck each winter, and I've even converted several sauerkraut haters with it!  (Since the sauerkraut is rinsed well AND cooked down with all the brown sugar and apples it's well disguised!)

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Wish you could smell this!!




Kielbasa, Kraut & Apples

Ingredients:
1 can (14 oz.) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
1 pound fully cooked kielbasa (or Polish sausage), cut into 2-inch pieces
3 medium tart apples (I prefer Granny Smith), peeled and cut into eighths
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup apple juice

Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased slow cooker.  Top with sausage, apples brown sugar and pepper.  Top with remaining sauerkraut.  Pour apple juice over all.  Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender.

Serves 4.
For a wonderful potluck dish...just double the recipe and use a large slow-cooker.

ENJOY!!
Stay warm my friends!!
Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment