The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Monday, October 9, 2017

Faithy’s Banana Pepper Pork



HOWDY!
I'm back again to share a recipe I came up with yesterday.  We had a bunch of fresh banana peppers in our garden, and I wanted to figure out something new to do with them.  I didn't have much luck finding recipes online (the ones I found used pickled banana peppers for the most part), so I just made one up.  It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.  If you have a bunch of banana peppers you want to use, this is a great (& easy) way to do it!


Faithy’s Banana Pepper Pork
1 - 2.5 lb pork loin roast
1-2  Tbsp. olive oil
1 sweet red onion, sliced into thin rings
7 fresh banana peppers, seeded and sliced (if you don't have any fresh ones, just use a jar of pickled ones)
3 Tbsp. salted butter
1/2-1/3 cup dark brown sugar
juice from 1/2 lime (I'll  probably use a whole lime next time)
1 cup low-sodium beef broth

Sear roast (on all sides), in olive oil.  Remove from pan and place into prepared slow cooker (with temperature on high).  Squeeze 1/2 lime over the top of the roast.

Add butter to the pan you seared the roast in, and add onions and banana peppers.  Cook and stir over medium heat until the veggies are starting to brown and caramelize.  Add a little of the beef broth to the pan to deglaze, and pour it all over the top of the roast.  Top with the remaining beef broth.
Cook on high for one hour.

Crumble dark brown sugar over the roast, and into the juices.  Reduce temperature to low and cook for an additional hour or until internal temperature of the roast reaches 160°F.  (Thanks to my sweet brother, I have a great little thermometer that will sound an alarm when the meat reaches whatever temperature I choose.)

Slice or shred pork and serve however you want.  It makes a great main course served with traditional rice or potatoes and veggies, or wonderful tacos or pulled pork sandwiches as well.  Be sure to save all the juices (with all the bits of onion & pepper in them).  You can drizzle it over the top of the meat, or if you choose to make pulled pork, you can just shred the meat and put it back into the juices to absorb them.  

Mmmmmmmmmmm...
I really think you're gonna like this!
Blessings,
--Faithy

P.S.  If you don't have a slow cooker, don't let that stop you!  Just cook this in a roaster or dutch oven.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Will have to give it a try. I'm so happy we are almost back to fall/winter cooking time!

    I can't remember if I left a comment on the raspberry muffins last night or not. I was up in the middle of the night, and my mouth was watering for those muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a yummy pumpkin soup recipe I've been wanting to get posted, but just haven't had time. Hopefully I'll get it done soon. I love fall recipes! (If we can't have fall weather, we might as well enjoy fall foods!)

    Let me know if you try the pork. I'd love to have your input.

    I've always been a fan of corn muffins, and those really hit the spot. They're not hard at all, so let me know if you try those as well!

    ReplyDelete