The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hmmm…what to do with a Kershaw pumpkin? - Part III - Kershaw Pumpkin Pie!!

Okay…back again with the final installment of the Kershaw Pumpkin saga!  If you’re coming in late, you can catch up by reading my previous posts (linked below):



Since last Sunday was “covered dish” Sunday at church, I decided some Pumpkin Pies would be yummy (they’re NOT just for Thanksgiving ya know!), so I set aside some of my pureed pumpkin before freezing the rest of it.

I had a couple of frozen pie shells on hand (from a sale at the grocery store), so I grabbed those and decided to save some time.  HA!  BIG mistake!!  They were not deep dish pie shells, and apparently my recipe made a bit too much filling for my two small 9” pie shells.  Oops!

Since the shells were too full, a good bit of overflow spilled onto the crusts as they were going into the oven (darn that oven shelf for sticking when I tried to push it in!).  This caused the spillover filling on the crusts to cook WAY too quickly, and get far more “browned” than I had planned.  Besides that, with my tiny pie shells, the pies were much too thin, and looked TERRIBLE (which is why there are no pictures with this post!), but I decided to take them anyway.

(I sampled a small piece of one of them and it was DELICIOUS - despite the way it looked, and it was headed for CHURCH after all.  Those folks love me and wouldn’t judge me for a pitiful pie crust would they?)

No worries…despite their imperfections, my pies brought several compliments…they were that good!  (I’m sure those good-hearted church folks wouldn’t lie.)

The recipe really is good folks, just don't overfill your pie shell(s) and avoid spilling it on the way to the oven!  If you don’t have the fresh pumpkin puree, a can of store-bought solid pack pumpkin will work fine.

I got my base recipe from Suzanne McMinn’s blog:  (http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/spiced-cushaw-squash-pie/), then I adapted it as always to come up with my own version.  (By the way, you should really check out Suzanne’s blog, it’s got some GREAT recipes, and her pie is MUCH better looking than mine was!)

Faithy’s Kershaw Pumpkin Pie

2 cups prepared Kershaw pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin - if you have to)
2/3 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup HEB Real Eggs (or 3 regular eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 large deep dish pie shell (at least 10” size - 9” is definitely too small, and homemade is best)

Whisk together your pumpkin puree, brown sugar, salt and spices in a medium-size mixing bowl.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix again.  Gently whisk in the evaporated milk, and pour into your pie shell.

 Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 60 to 75 minutes (or until a thin knife blade inserted in the center comes out clean).

(Your whole house will smell fabulous while this is cooking!)


Chill thoroughly before serving with a generous dollop of whipped cream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See what happens when I get behind in my blogging?  I go nuts catching up!  Hope I haven’t bored you to tears today.

Have a wonderful week folks, and keep your eyes open for God’s blessings.  They’re all around us ALL THE TIME!!
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment