The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hmmm…what to do with a Kershaw pumpkin? - Part II - Pumpkin Seeds


HOWDY friends!  Hopefully you’ve already read Part I, so you know what we’re talking about here.  If not, check it out and then come back!


Once I had the pumpkins roasting in the oven, I separated out all the seeds from the stringy pulp I had removed (amazing how many there are in one small pumpkin…and how well they like to hide in all that stuff!), rinsed and dried them.  Then I tossed them with a tiny amount of olive oil and tossed them into a skillet to roast over medium heat.



I cooked them just until they started to brown, then sprinkled them with sugar and seasoned salt.  I can’t really say how much of either one, just until it looks right (as my Mom always says).  Stir them well as the sugar mixture melts and caramelizes.  Once they are really hot and the sugar is well browned, remove them from the heat and let them cool completely.  Then break them apart and enjoy!


I often do this with almonds.  They’re really good to snack on and DELICIOUS tossed into salads.

I took a small bowl of these to my church potluck (mentioned in my Fig Cake blog) last weekend (as a snack), and a sweet, unknowing soul thought they came with a salad that the preacher’s wife made, so she tossed them in there.  When she found out they weren’t intended for the salad, she was so embarrassed.  It was a hit though!  I think the 3 of us were the only ones that knew it had been a mistake.  Everyone else just thought it was yummy!  LOL!

(If you want plain salted pumpkin seeds, they are really easy to do in the oven…just toss them lightly with olive oil, spread them on a jelly-roll pan and sprinkle them lightly with salt.  Then roast them - at 350-375°F - until lightly browned.  Cool and eat!)

If you like to garden, you’ll definitely want to save some of the seeds (resist the temptation to eat them all!) to plant in the fall.  Just air dry them and store them in an envelope in your freezer.

Come back and join me soon for Part III - Kershaw Pumpkin Pie!!

Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment