The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Saturday, December 7, 2013

“Use It Up” Soup


HOWDY friends!  Brrrrrrrr…it’s cold outside!  Temps are only in the mid 30’s here in South Texas...all day today!  This weather put me in the mood for some hearty soup, so I went looking in my refrigerator & pantry to see what I could throw together.  I decided to just experiment today, and this is what I came up with.  It turned out REALLY good, so I thought I’d share the recipe with you.  Feel free to adapt it to fit whatever you have in YOUR pantry or refrigerator.  LOL!  If you come up with something really yummy, please share your recipe with me too!

Can you smell this?  It smells heavenly!

“Use It Up” Soup
3/4 cup chopped celery (I had some celery & carrots left over from Thanksgiving, that needed to be used)
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 large sweet onion, diced
1/8 cup chopped jalapeño peppers (I had a few small ones left in my garden that had to be pulled before last night’s freeze)
3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped (because I put garlic in practically everything I cook!)
1 Tbsp. butter
1 (15.5 oz) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz.) can mayocoba beans, rinsed & drained (or any white bean you like)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained (I used some that had jalapeño & lime in them)
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
1 (32 oz) carton low-sodium beef broth (you could also use chicken or vegetable broth)
1 small link smoked sausage, diced (I used a pork/beef sausage with hatch green chili - you could leave this out if you want, the soup is very hearty even without it)
6 cups water (I started out with 4 cups, and added more as the soup cooked…just use your own judgment on this and make it to the consistency YOU prefer)
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme (fresh would be better if you have any - my thyme plant didn’t survive the past few weeks)
1/4 tsp. soul seasoning (or whatever seasonings you prefer)
1/3 of a 16 oz. bag frozen chopped collard greens (spinach - or some diced cabbage - would be good too)
1 large baking potato, diced
4 Tbsp That Green Sauce, mild (I got some of this stuff free with some other purchases at the grocery store.  I don't like it much on it's own, but it really added a nice flavor to the soup!  Glad I finally found a way to use it!)

Sauté celery, carrots, onion, jalapeños & garlic in butter until softened.  Add all remaining ingredients (except for That Green Sauce) and stir well.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until reduced and thickened a bit.
All the veggies are in, and starting to cook!
Stir in That Green Sauce about 10 minutes before serving.

If you want a creamier, less chunky soup, you can use an immersion blender to emulsify some (but NOT all) of the veggies.

Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread or some hot biscuits!
I found some Hatch Chili & Cheddar scones in the freezer that needed to be used...
that worked out well!
This stuff really hit the spot for me today.  Hope you like it too!

Stay warm out there!

Blessings,
--Faithy


No comments:

Post a Comment