The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Luscious Lime Muffins



HOWDY friends!  Just popping in to share a recipe that I finally got around to making this past weekend.  I cut the original recipe out of a magazine many, many (like over 20) years ago and never have tried it.  I came across it in my recipe box while looking for something to do with some extra limes I had on hand, and thought NOW is the time at last!

I wish I knew which magazine to credit for it, but alas, it has been too many years.  I can tell you that the magazine clipping credits a Mrs. Robert Day of San Benito, TX for sharing it with the magazine.

According to the original recipe, Mrs. Day used these muffins as a breakfast treat and as snack-time cupcakes as well.  I’m thinking a light cream cheese icing with a bit of lime juice & lime zest would transform these into scrumptious cupcakes!

Don’t wait as long as I did to try this recipe.  It’s delicious!

Luscious Lime Muffins


Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (feel free to use all-purpose if you prefer)
1 cup sugar (or your favorite sugar substitute…I used Whey Low Type D)
3 teaspoons low-sodium baking powder (or regular baking powder)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup low fat (skim) milk
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon fresh lime zest (I actually used about 2 teaspoons!)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (feel free to use a little more - 1/3 cup or so - if you like a more tangy flavor)


Directons:
Preheat oven to 400°F, and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with your favorite cooking spray.

Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

In a separate, smaller bowl (or a 2-cup liquid measuring cup), whisk together milk, eggs, oil, lime zest and lime juice.  Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir lightly (with a fork or wooden spoon), just until moist.  (The batter will be lumpy.)

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.  (I always use a large cookie scoop, but an ice cream scoop works well too!)

Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.  Let cool in the pan for about 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.  Serve warm.


Optional Glaze:
I made these plain, as the recipe suggested, but felt like they needed a little more “POW”, so I mixed up a simple glaze of lime juice and regular granulated sugar, and spread it over the hot muffins as they were cooling.

I can’t give you the exact measurements because I just threw it together without measuring.  Just take some fresh lime juice (I juiced half of 1 lime) and add sugar until the taste suits you, then brush over the muffin tops with a pastry brush.  You’ll want it to be very liquid and easily absorbed by the hot muffins.

My official taste-tester husband and I both thought these were much better with the glaze.

I hope you’re enjoying your summer.  Don’t forget to get out there and enjoy it before it’s gone!
Blessings,
--Faithy

1 comment:

  1. I have extra limes today, but no extra energy...maybe tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete