The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes...a fall twist on an old standby...



On a recent mission trip with my church, I had some pumpkin pancakes with homemade apple cider syrup.  They were so good, I had to experiment and come up with a good recipe when I got home.  I found a recipe for pumpkin waffles on online, and adjusted it a bit, as always.  I decided to share the results.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  My friend Diana was sweet enough to share her syrup recipe with me too.  You can find my version of it here.


Pumpkin Pancakes


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (the original recipe called for a full teaspoon, but I think ginger can be a bit overpowering, so I cut the amount in half – you can use as much or as little as suits your taste!)
1/4 teaspoon salt (the original recipe called for 1/2 tsp., but I always half the salt)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin (or homemade pumpkin puree)
2 cups milk (since the original recipe was for waffles, which require a thicker batter, this will be a bit thick – just add additional milk or apple juice – like I did – to thin it to the consistency you like)
1 cup HEB Real Egg (or 4 eggs, lightly beaten) 
NOTE:  If you decide to make waffles, just separate your eggs, and whip your egg whites (to soft peak stage) before folding them into the batter.
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Combine dry (first eight) ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mix well with a wire whisk.  In a separate bowl (and with a clean whisk), whisk together the pumpkin, milk, eggs and butter (wet ingredients).

Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.

Heat nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.  Lightly grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle (I use a large cookie scoop - but a 1/4 cup dry measure or an ice cream scoop would work too.)

Turn pancake when bubbles start to form and pop, and edges look cooked.  Cook second side; remove from griddle and serve immediately.  (I’m sure these would be good with any kind of syrup, or with a simple dusting of powdered sugar…however, I served them with the homemade apple cider syrup and they were delicious!!)

You REALLY should try these...you'll love 'em!!
Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment