The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kickin' Kiwifruit Muffins

Howdy friends…I hope this Sunday afternoon finds you well and happy.  I’ve been blessed with another busy weekend to enjoy with my family, so I can’t complain.  I’m finally back home relaxing a bit this afternoon, so I thought I’d catch up on my blog.

I was looking through another cookbook this weekend and came across a recipe for Kiwifruit Muffins.  I had a couple of kiwi in the fridge, and it sounded interesting, so I thought I’d give it a try.

I thought they turned out pretty yummy.  My hubby said he didn’t like the chunky texture too much, but he thought the flavor was good.  (I’m thinkin’ I might try using kiwi puree next time to see if he likes that better --my food processor would make that a snap!)
Anyway…while I was working on this blog, I decided to do a little Kiwi research.  I’ve always heard that they were a power-packed little fruit, and guess what…THEY ARE!!  When you have a minute, go check out my new blog Faithy’s Fleeting Thoughts to see what I learned.

If you have time (and a couple of kiwifruit), go pop some of these in the oven to cook while you’re reading.  J

Kiwifruit Muffins
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (the original recipe called for all-purpose flour, but as usual, I used part whole wheat)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Smart Sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (this was okay, but I think next time I’ll leave it out)
1/4 cup HEB Real Egg (or 1 whole egg)
1/2 cup skim milk (or whole milk - as per the original recipe - if you prefer)
2 Tablespoons Smart Balance Butter Blend sticks (or butter/margarine)
2 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup raisins (I used my homemade ones, which were kinda big so I chopped them too)

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and butter.  Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.  Fold in fruit.

Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full (I always use a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop for the perfect amount of batter and MUCH less mess!), and bake at 425°F for 15 to 18 minutes or until they pass the “toothpick test”.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.  Serve warm.

Yield:  10 muffins

I found this recipe in another great cookbook from my friends at Taste of Home.  This one is called Fresh & Easy, and it’s full of wonderful, easy-to-fix recipes using seasonal produce.  I found this one on page 163.  Please note that the original recipe HAS been adapted for my blog, using my typical substitutions, etc.

One of the things that I love about Taste of Home is that their recipes are submitted by “real” home cooks like me…not gourmet chefs using specialized ingredients I never seem to have on hand.

Blessings,
Well…I’m off to bed…another busy week ahead!
--Faithy


“For those who love it, cooking is at once child’s play and adult joy.
And cooking done with care is an act of love.”
-- Craig Claiborne --

No comments:

Post a Comment