The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin --

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fresh Tomato Salsa

--taken from The COMPLETE GUIDE to Country Cooking - published by Taste of Home Books - 1998 Reiman Publications, L.P. - p. 290 (Condiments Chapter)...


4 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped  (I used 2 large ones - 1 with the seeds and all 1 without)
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil (I used olive oil - regular - NOT EVOO)
1 tablespooon vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced (I'm a garlic lover so I used 3 good-sized cloves)

In a bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well.  (I just dumped it all in my food processor and let it whirl for a few seconds - no need to wear yourself out with the chopping!)  Let stand for about 1 hour.  Serve at room temperature.  Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Yield:  3-1/2 cups
submitted by Myra Innes, Auburn, Kansas

Okay...this turned out really yummy, so I made several batches...even canned some for future use.  I also made one batch without using the food processor, which allowed for a more chunky finished product.  Both were delicious!

According to the cookbook, it is good served as a topping for grilled chicken breasts.  I think I'm going to have to try that too.

Mine was fairly mild, so if you like it spicy you may want to add more jalapeno than I did.  I probably will next time.

This is SOOOOOO easy, I may never buy salsa again!  You really need to try this...

2 comments: